Friday, July 29, 2011

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Hi all! This is DiscworldDiva, guest blogging for Bookworms Marketplace...

This may actually be a surprise, but this will be my first ever Discworld book review... it's not really something I do.. although I had planned to start sometime in the future... so the first one will be here...
I guess it would be appropriate if my first review was about the first Discworld book I ever read, which I am now currently re-reading for the first time since then...

Witches Abroad... and I may be a bit biased,but I think it was a great place to start...
...however, If you are wanting to read them in order I would suggest reading Wyrd Sisters beforehand...

http://www.au.lspace.org/ftp/images/bookcovers/uk/witches-abroad-2.jpg 
In Witches Abroad the dysfunctional Lancre coven, Nanny Ogg (the mother), Magrat (the maiden) and Granny Weatherwax (the... other one), head off to foreign parts after Magrat inherits a Fairy Godmothers wand. Before they even get there the three witches are embroiled in stories that object to going differently to expected, cause a riot after waking a sleeping castle, and another after interrupting a bunch of young men chasing bulls (or rather, interrupting the bulls). They are alternately chased out of some villages, and celebrated as hero's in others, Nanny gambles away all their money and her broom, they meet an unaccompanied little girl in a red cloak and are inundated with pumpkins.

All this before they even arrive at Genua, where they have to attempt to stop the prince from marrying the cindermaid. An impossible feat you may think, but Pratchetts' story-telling genius make for an incredibly fun and very easy journey as we join the witches of Lancre as they battle against terrifying odds and weird foreign food.

I sincerely love this story and would recommend it to anybody who also enjoys fantasy, oddball characters, stories about stories, or fractured fairytales (a particular favorite of mine) spectacular wordsmithing, humor and pathos! Actually I would recommend it to anyone, whether you profess an interest in the above or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment